Thursday, July 07, 2005

Sing me a Rainbow

"We have every mixture you can have. I have a black, a woman, two Jews and a cripple. And we have talent."
- James G. Watt; Secretary of the Interior, 1981-1983

A number of chapters seem to have seriously embraced the idea that Sig Ep is a place for anyone. These chapters, to be sure, seem to be more heavily concentrated in the far West (CA, WA, OR, AK) and Northeast than in the Deep South or Midwest. Still, there is real progress, especially when compared to the time I was in school (mid 70s - Southern). The proportion of "brown faces" rather than distinctions (latin, black, oriental, mid-east, etc.) is more appropriate because concentrations will vary from place to place. Certainly there are still chapters where there are no “brown faces” at all but that number is dwindling. We can see that at CLA and Conclave.

In contrast, the "Public Face", as embodied in the leaders and staff at pretty much every level, is very pale. Now, this should not be too surprising, since the people assuming leadership roles now are more or less my peers. There is a shallow pool of "Sig Eps of color" that are close to my age. However, I do not EVER recall a black RD, and I'm not too sure about Orientals or Hispanics - maybe one here and there. It would seem that some effort might go into making that part of the structure, at least, reflect the non-discrimination principles that we have codified into our national by-laws.

Note: One of our contacts told me there had been one black RD, but he did not finish his term. This merely illustrates the point that a token presence is no better than none at all.

The Ruck Experience and the Quest to Greece are leadership identification and training exercises. You should expect to see those people in 10-20 years stepping up in the Fraternity. Do we see diversity there? If not you have to wonder if some outstanding potential leadership is being missed. Let me say that I do not for a minute believe there is any systematic willful discrimination taking place. Rather I think that it is a case of laziness. The RDs and DGs look for leaders to recommend for special training. Applications are sent in but the future leaders they 'see' just happen to be people who look like them.

An aside - in 2001 in DC My wife and I were sitting near a man from Alabama wearing an OGH - don't remember the name. At one point one a choir member sang a solo - perhaps the sweetheart song or maybe it was the national anthem. My wife and I overheard him say rather loudly to his tablemates "that nigger sure can sing good". My wife was appalled. She left the dinner and may never return to another Conclave.

So, how do we get to the point of making the "top" of the Fraternity look like the "bottom"? We need to see more “brown” faces in the ranks of Volunteers, RDs, DGs, and even NBD members. Once we do that it will stop being an issue. You will remember that Secretary of State was a job for a white male until Madeline Albright and then Colin Powell. Now, however, the only issue that the appointment of Condi Rice raised was whether she was the best person for the job. As it should be. Let’s get to that point with our leaders too. In the words of a “dead black guy” we should judge potential leaders on the “content of their character, not the color of their skin.”

From an undisclosed location...
I am Diogenes and I approved this message.

Powered By Blogger